Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Dr. Steinberg, Trigeminal Neuralgia


May 10, 2011

Appointment with Dr. Mark Steinberg, the naturopath I have been seeing for the past few years. It was his theory in January that I might have trigeminal neuralgia, but as he said then, "I hope not." Now that it looks like I do have some sort of occipital and trigeminal neuralgia, he is helpful and not hopeless. He has many ideas. We plan to continue on a program of nerve healing and anti-inflammatory supplements.

He wants me to continue Vitamin D, magnesium, and B Complex, and to take as much fish oil as I can possibly tolerate.

He wants me to ask Dr. Hopper if I need iron shots to get my iron levels up.
Dr. Ponti had also proposed this as a possibility. For some reason I have no iron stores at all, and now doctors are telling me such severe anemia can cause head pain.

I am to see Dr. Yin for a consult but before I opt for injections, which we both know have a slight chance of backfiring on me, he wants me to continue with mechanical, skull moving treatments, the myofascial treatments with Olympia and also adding craniosacral with Tim Hutton or Michael Maskornick.

He wants me to decrease sugar in my diet as much as possible and keep protein levels high. Dr. Ponti also wants me to reduce sugar in my diet. It is true that I eat a bizarre amount of sugar but I swear it is like fuel, and I have a very complicated blood sugar balancing act that involves a carefully orchestrated circus of meat protein and sugar. Asking me to not eat sugar would be like asking a migrating hummingbird or monarch butterfly to not eat sugar. That said, I too would like to reduce some of the sugar in my diet, for instance, prior to four years ago I did not put it in my tea or coffee, so I would like to take it out again.

If I seem to still be dealing with a lot of overall body pain and inflammation he might propose a fast and healing diet.

For allergies I can use a saline solution.

He says, "Take care of yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment