Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Dr. Ponti May 23, 2011


Good to see Dr. Ponti again. She always asks in a pleasant voice, "What can I do for you today?"

The skin lesion results came back benign and for that I give thanks.

My bp was also normal at 125/80.

I update her on my Saga and ask if it would make sense to either take steroids or to treat me with hormones during the most critical time of my month, which is a few days before period, during period, and the days as period is ending.

She does not think steroids are necessarily the best route to go and asks if anyone has tested my hormones. I say No, that everyone has been afraid to touch me in that regard since synthetic hormones landed me in the ER November 2008. I was advised to not ever take them again. But now I am wondering about trying progesterone, especially since reading many more articles on this topic. (Thanks Mom!)

Dr. Ponti proposes we test my hormone levels for the next month. Ovulation, luteal phase, follicular phase, menstruation. One fasting blood draw a week for the next four weeks.

So I did a little research to discover that progesterone is highest at ovulation and during the luteal phase, which is just after ovulation.

The follicular phase is from start of menstruation to ovulation and this is when estrogen is building and is at its highest.

Then just before the period is when both progesterone and estrogen drop.

Do I have that right?

All I know is that it seems hormones utterly wreak havoc on my head.


The porphyria test results are not back yet. But Dr. Ponti is pleased to be in touch with Dr. Raab from whom she has received thorough consultation notes.

I feel I am in good hands. I have Actual Doctors. I can focus a bit more on being the patient and somewhat let up on having to use my internet medical degree. My poor mind is so taxed and exhausted. Three nonstop years of trying to find an answer, day and night.

No comments:

Post a Comment