Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Craniosacral with Diane


Last year I saw most esteemed craniosacral therapist Tim Hutton in Bellingham WA for some overall general help with my left leg and knee and overall chronic pain. We are old friends and coworkers and while he has no dearth of scientific knowledge, the magic in his practice is him. He has a magical healing way. And we are both canaries on a crowded noisy planet. I can always speak freely with him and he understands, and what I recall from last year's session is that we traced some things back to my liver, and also that a certain white snake reappeared in the room, but that is a story for another day.

Tim is booked out about two years and the only reason I got in last year was because my Mom had an appointment she was not going to use and gave me her space. I would not have thought of using craniosacral too much for my head and body pain, because the migraines are so much of a critical emergency nature and I think of craniosacral as medicine for gentler times. I know craniosacral is good for help with pain, but my pain is of the sort of woman-on-fire type that doesn't allow me to hold still and get help. I would have to say, "Excuse me, but can you help me as I am leaping off the bridge or balcony? Can you treat me mid flight?"

When I saw Dr. Steinberg he was glad I was getting myofascial treatment and also recommended some craniosacral work, and as luck, blessed luck would have it, the timing was great as my friend Diane had just completed her second workshop in craniosacral training and was eager to work on people.

So I got on her borrowed massage table in the middle of her open air kitchen/living room and she did a session for me while the kids watched movies upstairs. I was in a blessed migraine free week but had been having bad right sided head pain and crackling. (and why do i think that is not also a migraine? i am so confused by all of this.)

So I figured that perhaps Diane would just sit with me for a few minutes and practice listening. But I think I was on her table for over an hour, and it was indeed deeply therapeutic. I think she has a natural gift for this healing art, and also that my right side head really does want to be worked on, it wants attention.

She spent almost all of the session with her hand near my right sided skull and temple and I felt enormous heat in there, that sort of cloud of prickling, and my head wanted to move towards her hand, wait, not my head, but the thing inside my head, wanted to move towards her hand, like there were magnets involved. I get this strange cilia like image often, like a cactus is in my head, and the hairs are also magnetized and crackling. This reached for her hand, it wanted to move towards her hand, and the sensation was calming for me.

I also had a funny and strange image that to my direct left she had a helper. The helper was standing at my waist, facing me, a shorter creature and wrapped like a mummy, but a cheerful character, and obviously from outer space.

No, I was not asleep. But grateful for the calm that was engendered in me.
And for Diane's gift of her time, and her generosity.

Blessed are the healers.
And blessed are all people who take the time and care to be in touch with their healing natures and to help others. I am most grateful. And I wonder when the time will come when I can get back, get forward, to that sort of work.

(photo of tulips in Diane's garden)

No comments:

Post a Comment