Friday, February 11, 2011

special gloves for the mind




Special gloves for the mind

And the heart

This may be what I need for one of my current projects, for the handling of a WWII letter which details how my grandfather died on the battlefield. This letter is pure grief. I did not know it existed until after my grandmother died in 2006 and I have been intending to document and transcribe it since I discovered it in her bureau drawer, but it has taken time to get to the right time for this task.

You cannot read this letter without weeping.

And what I say daily to myself is ‘If Not Now, Then Never.’

It has been six months since my father died.
This letter contains part of his father’s story.
It is the story of his father’s life ending.

I go outside and find Ping walking along the glass surface of the pond.
It is like he is walking on the impossible.

He cheerfully accepts the corn I throw his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment