Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Caramel coloring


When the news came out this week that caramel coloring was possibly carcinogenic, I was depressed by it in a way that I manage to usually ward off when I hear food news. I am never shocked when a coloring or a chemical is determined to be cancer causing. We are supposed to be eating living food not lab food.

But Coke-a -cola? That is a not a manmade product. I have always thought of that as a gift from the gods. Since childhood my only drinks have been iced tea, water, and co-cola. I always thought that miraculous blend of sugar, caffeine, fizz and secret natural flavors was the way the gods let us know they loved us.

And now that it finally dawns on me that I have some bizarre neurological illness, I wonder if even back then coca-a-cola was providing me medicinal benefits. Like leeching the calcium out of me since it looks like maybe my calcium levels get too high and push out all my magnesium. Or just the way caffeine helps lessen the severity of migraines.

I am not one of those people who drinks soda every day. It’s cyclical, some weeks none. Some weeks a bottle a day for four or five days in a row.

Apparently there are five kinds of synthetic caramel coloring, (no one really makes it by burning sugar anymore), and three out of five have been determined to be bad for us, so Europe will ban then, and the US won’t.

I will still drink a Coke. But now some of the shine is off. I look at it and think, deflated, ‘Oh, humans made that. Darn.’

But maybe the Coke in other countries is still made by the gods?
Maybe I will have to travel more in search of the cure.

Coke adds life. The spark.

La chispa de la vida.

No comments:

Post a Comment