Saturday, February 12, 2011

the sound of slush


A day of double rejections!

I had promised myself I would share some writing with the world and so at the end of 2010 I sent an essay to the Sun and some poems to a small press and yesterday I received two rejections! That was fast! One came in the mail and one came via email.

Maybe I should have submitted three things so that I could then find a rejection skywritten above the house!

Do I care? Do I not care? I never feel like sharing or submitting anything I write but at the end of last year with pages and projects piling up I decided I had best start sending things out, so I did, and they did not find homes, and all it really makes me feel like is not wasting paper and postage to send anything else out…even though I know one is supposed to collect rejection slips to pave their pathways to success.

Oh I do want Spring.

Real flowers and real stones.

This past week the curb was littered with abandoned Xmas trees who lay there in the snow looking so forlorn. I wanted to stand them up and hug them, dance with them, arrange them upright in snowbanks in a circle as if they were having a meeting.

Then the rain came and melted all the snowman heads.

And then yesterday, I saw the ground in places! And I heard the trickling sound of water as ice was chased away by sunshine. As the cold has receded, the pond has gone from white ice to clear ice, and now the sound of slush is music to my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment