Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy Year of the Rabbit!


Happy Lunar New Year!
Happy Year of the Rabbit!

Crocus blooms are rising up like hot air balloons!

In the kitchen, at least.

At night I have been listening to the enormous tom cats yowl like banshees and then pummel each other in the snow. Meat on meat. Muzzle to muzzle. They seem to think February is Spring. I remember throwing snowballs at them in the middle of the night, this same time last year when they came here and fought like grizzly bears.

Today for the first time in almost a week I saw the miracle who is Ping. He was hanging out with some Canada geese at the far end of the pond. Which is frozen over of course. Nature outdoes itself, goes for the gold, breaks all its own records again.

I see a blank page and I want to bound across it like a dog across a field of fresh snow. But I have reined myself in on the blog for it doesn’t seem to right to ask people to read a bunch of thoughtless muddy tracks.

I took to heart the idea, “if not now, when?” and that one possible answer, “If not Now, then Never”, and so I am back at work on the kid’s book. I last worked on it in earnest in April 2010 when I wrote 7, 235 new words and felt miserable each step of the way. The problem is that I have a tiny pea brain and like simple things, and the story wants to be complicated like an orchid or a fish or a mammal.

But I try again.
Imagining I might someday live on a little farm helps me.
I would ask the chickens for writing advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment