Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Lowly Worm




I have invited some ladies to join me here and to my delight they have popped by. Hello Ladies! Welcome! It is nice to know you might visit this virtual parlor and I shall try to keep it interesting enough that you may want to return from time to time.

What is on your mind today?

I am not supremely keen on this turn of events called January.

There is snow and I hear a bird screaming. I suspect plunder by cat, even though I have not seen a kill in ages and even though I feed and fatten the ferals in the hopes that they will think predation is boring. On the other hand I want the cats to survive when we leave and they need to rely on their hunting skills. It is in their nature. It wasn’t my idea.

It is so hard loving both the birds and the cats. One almost understands how people make up horrible stories to exploit others. The mind seems to want to take sides, or by choosing one, it somehow necessitates excluding the other.

So what can the mind do? Sometimes I run interference, like a bird-cat referee. Sometimes I make up stories, like ‘this life isn’t so great. The cats are helping the birds get to a place that is so much more magnificent, so lush, so filled with seeds and fruit- and absolutely no cats.’

The Sudanese poet David Aoloch Bion has a poem entitled, “Death is the Last Orgasm of Life.” He suggests:

The best sorrowful way to mourn
For your beloved one is to laugh
Melodically for one minute and
Compose epitaph.


I will always be on the cat/bird see-saw, loving them both, horrified by them both.

For I also love the little worm.

No comments:

Post a Comment