Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Hush


My dog is the world’s worst dance partner, but maybe it’s me and not him. We just hear different music, and he pulls hard the opposite direction.

Tonight the world is so delicate and well appointed.
I walked him the best I could in the ice and slush, dodging danger. He pulls towards cars, it is so awful. Does he think they can nuzzle each other?
Finally walking the dog was too hard as we were competing with slipping and sliding cars. So I brought him home, let him eat the cat food,

And then I went back out. To soak up as much of the hush as I could.

I turned down the sycamore lined road where there were no cars.

The beautiful sublime hush.

I cannot get enough of it.

As I walked, all snow and trees and a few gas lampposts, next to a silver white pond stilled to silence, it is like walking in some other time in the past hundred years.

Something about my gait makes me feel like a peaceful dinosaur.
Like I am delighted and stunned to be so upright, and my tiny pea brain is making a movie as I pass through the landscape.

There is this sense that I am moving forward into beautiful and time and space with each step.

The snow falls on my head, but it’s soft like butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment