Sunday, January 30, 2011

In praise of canned soup


Since September when I suffered a new symptom, reeling vertigo and disequilibrium that left me feeling like I had been kicked in the head by a horse (actually a zebra), canned soup and ginger tea have saved me.

I am hardly dizzy most days now (whew) but still find so much comfort in this can of gumbo I am eating on a snowy day. Chicken, sausage, okra, rice, and yes too much salt but that was the least of my worries recently. I am so blessed. The cabinet is overflowing with soups.

It is like out there some mother spirit has made all these cans. (Oh I know about factories and exploitation and genetically modified food and synthetic ingredients and the dangers of the plastic with which the cans are lined and the perils of not eating locally grown food, and pesticides and food riddled not with caterpillars but with guilt, but I also know the heartening happiness of being alive, being warm, being fed, being in this gratitude filled moment and wanting to spread that wealth.) I want to thank her for her recipes and her single serving size cans which make two servings for me.

Soup is my lunch time friend this season. What kind do you like?
I love making homemade soup and stews and have recently made Hawaiian ginger chicken stew and the beef stew of my childhood and chorizo and kale and white bean soup but for lunch time it is a miracle to grab a can of split pea with ham and settle in.

Oh these luxuries.
Meanwhile a family displaced by floods in Pakistan is lucky to eat one meal a day now.
The people in Australia and Brazil have watched their lives swept away by water.
The earthquake and cholera in Haiti have left an island of humanity almost abandoned.
The riots in Tunisia spread to Egypt and today history is in the making in the streets of Cairo where military tanks and tear gas and protestors for democratic freedoms are all negotiating space.

History is in the making.

What can we do?

Meanwhile I have mini world peace. It’s in my can of soup.
It is also in the bowl.
It is also in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment