Monday, January 25, 2010

god is in the stem cell

Sometimes I think about things like the nutritional content of menstrual blood.
Don’t be squeamish; let’s try to be scientific, though I confess there is not a quick link to any such topic on Google so maybe I am alone in my curiosity. But it seems one more resource possibly going to waste. Menstrual blood does apparently contain stem cells. It is my belief that if there is a god, a god for people, then that god lives in the stem cell.
.
If a woman’s menses is rich enough to feed and cushion a developing embryo, aren’t we overlooking it as a source of something life affirming? What about the blood pudding and blood sausage and blood soups of the world? And the brave and enduring Maasai who have lived in challenging conditions successfully for a long time by utilizing the blood and milk of their cows.
Maybe I think about these things because I am childless and have been bleeding monthly for almost thirty years.
Taboos. I am also someone who loves cats and dogs and wish I could adopt all homeless pets, but who thinks that if we as a society are just going to euthanize thousands of these mammals a month, it is truly shameful that we not use their meat and fur.
Wastefulness.

There is an artist, Ingrid Berthon-Moine who did an interesting series of portraits in which she had women wear their menstrual blood as lipstick.
It’s art. It’s a start.

Meanwhile, if I reincarnate as a mammal, please sign me up next time for covert menstruation, where the uterine lining is resorbed at the end of each cycle instead of hemorrhaged out. I would like to do fieldwork with animals in Africa. Especially the beautiful hyenas.

No comments:

Post a Comment