Monday, March 15, 2010

Werewolf Girl Needs A New Home




My dreams last night were interesting to me, maybe not to you, but I would certainly listen to yours if you wanted to tell me.

Is the blog an imaginary friend for grown-ups?

In the dream there was a theater just down the block from me, much like my favorite theater Idiom. A woman and I were rehearsing our roles as werewolves and trying hard to get the voices right. Actually, I think she was a vampire and that was territory that had been much further explored so she was drawing from some rich theatrical history and I was simply trying to get in touch with my primal mammalian roots. There was much laughter, and I had yet to really figure out what a werewolf girl sounded like. The woman and I left the others at the open air rehearsal and went back to clean up the theater which looked like a toy room wrecked by enthusiastic toddlers. After all was put away, I saw that what I had put at the top of some stacks of boxes and papers were the two old antique photo albums that in real life I brought back from my grandmother’s house in Virginia after she passed away.


While I was traveling I was unable to write, unable to keep up with myself.
Upon returning to The Burble of Suburbia, central coastal Jersey, I was immediately thrust into a battle with people who were cutting down healthy hundred year old trees in our neighborhood. Storming into the Borough Hall did no good, nor did glaring at the men with the chainsaws, calling the planning board, emailing every local office including the Mayor, taking photos, leaving phone messages all over town, contacting a reporter, and praying and hoping. The horror was only magnified when it came to light that the deforestation was done under the auspices of the Shade Tree Commission which got a $25,000 dollar grant to do the destructive deed. They even called it The Rejuvenation Project. It was, in truth, by definition, a Decimation Project, but these are the same citizens who elected George “Mr. Clean Air Act” W. Bush. The trees were felled; the top soil and moss destroyed, and the woodpeckers, owls, and hawks will have to find somewhere else to call home.

And so will I.

No comments:

Post a Comment